Students Serve in Mexico

Students continue a tradition of serving others.

Students Serve in Mexico

One of the children LCA girls encountered in Ensenada Baja, Mexico.

Erin Oliver

Erin Oliver

Erin Oliver

For the past four years, several girls have taken a life changing mission trip to Ensenada Baja, Mexico. This year was no different for Seniors Erin Oliver, Katherine Childers, Rosemary Cruse and her sophomore sister Lily.  They spent a week of their summer working alongside YUGO Ministries to build two homes from the ground up for  impoverished families. The group divided into two teams and each group had the task of completing one house. As the frames went up, the teams wrote scripture on the boards and bases of the house, serving both God and the people of Ensenada Baja. Individually, the girls worked by painting boards and lifting them to dry, as well as hanging drywall and shingling roofs. Although the work was hard and tedious, Katherine says that “the lessons the trip teaches are unparalleled to any other.” Her favorite part of the whole experience was learning more about her faith and seeing firsthand the difference simple actions can make.

Seniors Katherine Childers and Erin Oliver enjoy their summer building homes in Mexico.

At the end of the week, the teams passed around the keys of the finished home and each volunteer had a moment to pray while they shared a cooked meal together, provided courtesy of the family. The girls say that perhaps the most moving part of the work was knowing that lives are being changed, not only for them and the other workers but also for the people receiving the house. One team’s service family had been living in the bathroom of a run down local restaurant until YUGO came and built them a new place to call home. Erin says that, “passing them the keys, [as well as] forming new and amazing relationships is the most memorable part of the experience. Going to Mexico is my favorite trip of the year by far.”

According to its website, YUGO Ministries “is a community of believers from all over the world who are passionate about inviting the Church to COME and join us, as together, we build sustainable change in Mexico.” These girls became involved with YUGO Ministries through Katherine’s family who lives in Corbin, Kentucky. She became affiliated with the group almost five years ago and has since brought several people to join her and her family as they serve with YUGO.