School Shooting Stuns Michigan Town

Oxford High School in Oxford, Michigan was the site of a school shooting on November 30, 2021

Adrienne of Oxford, CC BY-SA 4.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

On Tuesday November 30, a 15-year-old student at Oxford High School in Michigan opened fire on his fellow students. The young man killed four and injure seven. One victim, Tate Myer (16), was attempting to stop the shooter at the time he was hit. The shooter also killed Maddison Baldwin who was 17, and Hana Juliana who was 14. Another student Justin Shilling died later from his injuries.

Police have not identified a clear motive for the shooting, and the young man has pled not guilty on all charges. His parents were charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter and asked to appear in court. The parents attempted to flee but were later apprehended.

The shooter used a semi-automatic handgun that his father had purchased several days prior to the shooting.  It appears that there were very concerning warning signs before the shooting that should have alerted the school and the parents of the impending danger. The student reportedly made drawings in class that were concerning. The school notified his parents, but it does not appear that they anything with the information. The evidence suggests they left him at school with the gun in his backpack. There are also reports that the student had been caught researching ammunition on his phone. After receiving this information, his mom allegedly texted him “lol, I’m not mad at you, you just have to learn not to get caught.”

LCA students are stunned to learn of another school shooting; one student even calling it “horrifying.”  Both Mony, 11, said “it’s very sad.” Brad Davidson, 11, summed up the sentiments of many students when he said “my thoughts go out to the victim’s families.”