I Am Third Provides Basketball Outlet for Students

A lot of students are participating in a recreational basketball league at Centenary United Methodist Church across from the Immanuel Campus. The league, I Am Third, has four teams with LCA students participating. They include, The Bulls, Kings, Hawks and Spurs. The Spurs have the best record with a record of 2-1 and the Bulls and Hawks tied behind them with a 2-2 record. The Hawks are the worst in the league with a winless record of 0-4. The Spurs most recent game was cancelled due to Covid-19 complications.

The Bulls in week 2 played the Kings and beat them so the Kings look to get revenge this week in their 2nd matchup. Students on the Kings include seniors Andy Sorrell, Josh Livengood, Logan Martin, Porter Kelley and a few more. The Bulls have seniors Matthew Potter, Clay Matthews, Will Vernon along with students from other schools. The Spur’s roster includes juniors Mason Moore, Elijah Hammond, Matthew and Connor Maggard along with a few more. Finally, the Hawks have a mix of juniors and seniors with Cole Ramey, Ben Royce, and Will Green as well as some more students.

While it is church league, students still take their seasons seriously. Senior Will Vernon lamented, “We have not started out how I have expected. We are sloppy at sometimes and struggle to shoot the ball at times so its hard to score sometimes, but I think we can turn it around and make a run.” Ben Royce, 11, of the Hawks had this to say about his team’s rough start, “We are really bad and have no one good but it is really fun to just be with some of my friends and go out and mess around since we are not that good.” The I Am Third season only has a couple of more games before the playoffs. All students participating seem to be excited about it.