The Hybrid Model

Starting January 25, the Rose campus is following the hybrid school model. Students with the last name letters A-K will be at school in-person on Monday and Thursday, while students with the last names letters L-Z will be in attendance Tuesdays and Fridays. Wednesday will be an asynchronous day for all students, with no digital meeting required. Students will just log into Canvas and finish their assignments by the end of the school day at 3:20.

Many students have mixed feelings about the hybrid schedule. Senior Connor Hayes says, “I dislike it very much” while others like it for the most part. There are many positives and negatives that go along with this model. Some of the advantages are that on Wednesdays students can have some extra time to sleep because they do not have to get up by 8:20 and login to all of their classes. The hybrid schedule also should cut down Covid-19 cases within the school. The disadvantages are significant, though. Students can only see half of their friends on the days that they go to school because the other half are at home online. This can be especially hard for students whose closest friends have last names in another part of the alphabet. Also, some students have a hard time focusing on their tasks at hand at home because of distractions such as video games, cellphones, food, etc. Senior Matthew Donnelly says, “I enjoy the hybrid schedule pretty well because I get to leave most of my classes early and I can play my Xbox a little more or I can go get whatever I want for lunch.”

There is no set timetable for how long LCA will remain in the hybrid schedule. The goal is to reduce the amount of students out with Covid-19 or contact tracing so they will most likely end the hybrid plan after cases have gone down significantly. Hopefully more availability to the new coronavirus vaccines will help.