Dressing for On-line Learning

Freshmen Mock Trial students show the wide array of fashion choices students select for early morning online instruction.

During the times that we live in today, we often find ourselves having no motivation to get ready for the day by dressing up or putting on make-up or sometimes even wanting to take a shower. This we know is not good because people thrive when they work under a routine. The way most kids come to school over the computer varies from people who are still in their bed to kids who look like they just woke up. An everyday outfit I might wear is a sweatshirt and sweatpants with my hair combed after the shower and my glasses. Some of my friends just put on a shirt so they can at least turn on their camera if need be. Other people in the school feel better if they get ready for the day just as if they were going to school. According to a doctor who did an interview with the Huffington Post, “A lot of what people are experiencing right now is a disruption of their routine, When you don’t know what’s coming next, that can be a challenging thing for some people, so a lot of it is about having some semblance of what your day and week looks like. Knowing what’s coming next can be comforting”. The teachers on the other hand still all dress professionally. Whether they are teaching from within the school or if they are teaching from home all of the classes are recorded so they still dress like they are there teaching in front of us. Matthew Donnelly, 12, says of his on-line school attire that, “I wear anything that I can find really. Whatever isn’t dirty”. Matthew Potter, 12, is a little more specific. “I wear lounging clothes. Usually sweatpants and a sweatshirt.” Honestly, everyone is ready to go back to the way things used to be but it isn’t always that simple especially with COVID.