PSAT Goes On

PSAT Goes On

Despite all of the cancellations, postponements, and other restrictions amid the current pandemic, the PSAT went on as scheduled this year. On Wednesday October 14, freshmen through juniors were given the opportunity to take the PSAT during school.  For freshmen and sophomores the test was just for practice. For juniors, the test had more importance. The PSAT is a test administered by the College Board and it is used for placement in some classes later in high school, applications for certain scholarships, and to prepare for the SAT. The PSAT is the qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarships.

On the day of the test, students went straight to a designated classroom to stay socially distant while taking the test and remained there until the test was over. Students were allowed to go home afterwards and relax from the very long morning. The PSAT is very different from the ACT and a lot of students found this test to have a lot less pressure then the ACT. Cedrick Thervil,11 said, “It was nice not to have a science section.” This test has a lot of benefits and opportunities if the student gets a good score. Another student, Taylor Prince,11 said, “I thought it was challenging but I am glad we have the opportunity to take it because the benefits are really good.”  This year, two LCA seniors, Zachary Feller and Joshua Lytle, have been named National Merit Semi-finalists based upon their scores on the PSAT they took during their junior year.