High School Spring Sports Status

Many varsity athletes were looking forward to this spring season. With COVID-19 taking everyone be surprise, officials have been shutting many large group activities down. Many of those also include spring high school sports. KHSAA has officially cancelled all spring season sports in Kentucky for the 2020 spring season. In an official statement made by KHSAA they announced the “cancellation of all regular-season practices and contests as well as all postseason tournament championship events for all spring sports and sport-activities for the 2019-20 school year.” Before, KHSAA still had the season continuing if schools were allowed to reopen. As the updates got worse and worse, chances were low. Then, they decided to cancel the seasons all together, which was very disappointing.  Most students agree it was the right call.

The concern now is whether schools will reopen in the fall semester.  That means restrictions could disrupt fall sports as well. With so many different estimations and predictions it is hard to say exactly what the outcome will be.  Reports that there will be a second wave of COVID-19 in the near future and many speculate that it will come in the Fall of this year. With that in mind, it definitely makes for a concerning rest of the year with all different kinds of updates to come. All we can do is wait and see what happens and pray that all of this blows over soon.