Underclassman deal with COVID-19 Epidemic

This notice greets visitors to the LCA website.

For the next three weeks Fayette county is out of school because of the Coronavirus or COVID-19 epidemic. This virus has caused more than half the schools in the US to close down, including those in Kentucky. So far, there have been 63 cases of people with COVID-19 reported in the state. Most students are getting worried and scared about the future of our country and what is going to happen next. Unfortunately, no one knows exactly what is going to happen next, and the unknown causes more fear, especially in students.

Some of the freshmen are upset because this is their first year of high school and it is being interrupted greatly by steps taken to contain the virus. Sophomores don’t have much to lose, but their whole routine of school is getting messed up. Juniors and seniors are impacted differently because they are missing out on a lot more than the underclassmen are. Laurel Setzer, 9, expressed her feelings on the recent closures. “I was excited to get a break off, but the social distancing has been hard and I miss my friends. I never thought I’d say I want to go back to school, but there’s a first time for everything.” Many are struggling with the social distancing and wishing they could be with their friends again. It has been hard on not just students, but basically everyone. Steven Rhodes, 10, said “I miss my friends, but I honestly can’t say the same for school.”

Online school has been definitely a big change for all and it is taking some time to get used to. Mia Bond, 10, noted, “online school is a lot easier than regular school, but it’s hard to remember to do everything without having someone there to remind you.” This virus has turned worlds upside down for most students and it is going take some time to get used to it.