Lessons from the Past in Poland

Students on the Global Next Trip to Poland stand on the streets of Krakow as they listen to Dr. Phil Johnson instruct them about the history of the city.

A group of students started the year 2020 off by taking a Global Next trip to Poland. This was an educational trip to teach students more about the Holocaust and World War II. Nine students and three teachers made trip. Art teacher Mrs. Cranfill, Media Center Specialist Mrs. Benson, and Junior High Principal Mr. Marshall, who previously went on the Oxford leadership trip earlier this year, accompanied the students.

The students traveled from January 4-12. They landed in Poland around dark so they took a small tour of Krakow and then tried some local foods. The second day the group roamed the streets, sight-seeing and shopping. Later that day, they attended classes taught by Dr. Phil. The third day was definitely the most impactful and the main reason the students went on the trip. The students visited the former concentration camp Auschwitz. Maddie Bryne, 12, explained the emotion of the visit. “It was heavy, very heavy. It just felt so haunting.” On the fifth day, the students learned about the effects of communism on the country. They took a tour and rode in communist cars. Bryne said, “It was the most fun because the tour guy was so charismatic.” On the last day, they visited Wawel castle and went toured cathedrals in the area. 

Global Next offers many leadership trips to students, usually two every year. This year the trips were England and Poland. This company focuses on training students from Christian schools, taking these students out of the country to show them different cultures. In these other countries, they study Christ in different countries, and learning about different historical events in the country they are visiting. This company was founded and is run by Dr. Phil Johnson, who periodically comes to speak to LCA students.

Next year students can take part in two of the Global Next trips. One is to Israel and the other is to Greece. The Global Next trips are a lot of work, as students have to read books and write a paper for them,  but most students agree that the work is definitely worth it. Students can get more information from the office or go talk to Mrs. Payne.