Filed under Showcase

Saying Goodbye to More than Students

Saying Goodbye to More than Students

Mrs. Corliss gets in the spirit during the leadership trip to Germany and the Czech Republic. She is one of several teachers who will not be returning to LCA next year.

As we come to the end of another school year, seniors are not the only ones leaving; many teachers will yet again be leaving, and this year the number also includes administrators. Teachers leave LCA at the end of second semester year after year for multiple different reasons. Sometimes it is because they are moving to another state, or they are taking a position at another school, or they are retiring.  Sometimes, they may not want to leave the school, but their contracts are not renewed. This year is no different.

Mrs.Corliss, who teaches English 11 and Honors English 10, is leaving for a reason that most do not, she is going to spend five months hiking the Appalachian Trail from start to finish.  Departing in the beginning of June after her husband’s graduation, she will not finish the trail until November. She won’t be alone on the trek, as her husband her dog will be joining her. Sarah-Grace White, 11, is Mrs. Corliss’s teacher aide. She voiced many students’ feelings about this change when she said, “She is one of my favorite teachers, and I am pretty sad that she is leaving.”

Mr. Barber who teaches Anatomy and Genetics and Microbiology is retiring this year after 46 years in education, an amazing feat for any occupation. He has been easing into retirement for a year now, as he has only been teaching part time. He passed off his biology classes to Mrs. Jasper and Mrs. Jarvis, and only came in to teach the upperclassmen.

Unfortunately, not all the departures this year are as voluntary. Mr.Fields, Mr. Newman, and Mr. Gifford are all not returning because they did not get their contract renewed. LCA teachers are all on one year contracts.  None are guaranteed a contract from one year to another. This means that unlike public school, there is not tenure here. The English department took the biggest hit this year as Mr. Newman and Mr. Fields both teach in that department.  Since last summer to the end of this year, six teachers from the department have left.

The biggest surprise to the students and the staff as well is that Mr. Matthews also will not be returning as he did not receive a contract for next year. Mr. Matthews has been the principal in the high school for three years at the end of this semester. Head of School Mr. Sisk informed him a few weeks ago that he would not be offered a contract for next year.  Mr. Matthews was not given a reason for this decision, but many teachers and families would like to have one.

About the Writer
Ben Philpot, Staff Writer

Ben Philpot is a junior who has attended LCA for three years after moving to Lexington from London, Kentucky, where he attended North Laurel Middle School....