Raptors Victory Comes Down to the Wire

Conor Harrison, Staff Writer

There was not only one, but two game 7s today in the NBA Playoffs. This was an NBA fan’s dream. The Philadelphia 76ers and the Toronto Raptors played in a game 7 today to earn a chance to the Eastern Conference Finals. Both teams have had their ups and downs all year, but it came down to today to see who was the better team. The Raptors have been strong these playoffs behind the stellar play of Kawhi Leonard, and the solid play of Kyle Lowry and Pascal Siakam. Kawhi Leonard has been beyond good in these playoffs, and he was the reason the Raptors were in this game today. The 76ers have a loaded starting lineup as they start four proven NBA All Stars and one of the best shooters in the league. Joel Embiid has been the MVP for them this year, but he has been helped quite a bit by Jimmy Butler, Ben Simmons, Tobias Harris, JJ Redick, and other bench players. The one problem with this team is that they are a little young and inconsistent. The game was pretty much even the whole way. There was not a time in this game where it seemed like one team had a clear advantage. It came down to the game as the game was tied at 90-90 with about 40 seconds left. The Raptors stopped the Sixers from scoring and got the ball back with about 5 seconds left. They called a timeout and set up a play. They inbounded the ball to a running Kawhi Leonard and he dribble around both Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid to the right corner. He took a long fadeaway jumper over the outstretched hand of Joel Embiid and fell to the ground after. The ball hit the front of the rim twice, and then hit the back of the rim twice, and then fell through as the buzzer sounded, giving the Raptors the win 92-90. LCA Senior Drew Haas had praising words for Kawhi Leonard, “He is an animal. Nobody can stop him.” He is right as Kawhi Leonard had 41 points this game and no one could stay in front of him all game. LCA Senior and Belmont commit Kyle Rode said this about the Raptors, “They are the better team and they deserved to win this game.” LCA Senior Jackson Lalonde had more praising words for Kawhi Leonard, “He’s unreal and him vs Giannis in the conference finals is gonna be a matchup for the ages.” Giannis and Kawhi will face off in the Eastern Conference Finals, and the Raptors will look to finally get over the hump and make the NBA Finals.