LCA Track Team Takes Action

LCA Track Team Takes Action

Connor Hayes , 11, and Andrew Madden, 12, compete in the Tates Creek Meet

Erin Oliver, Editor

LCA has obtained an admirable reputation of a talented and hardworking track and field team. In 2017, the Eagles took the state championship for Boy’s Track and Field, while the successful girl’s team has steadily traveled up state ranks.

2019 has been no less of a season, especially the men’s indoor season. A memorable highlight took place on February 16th, where the school’s track team participated in the UK High School Invitational race held at UK’s Nutter Field House. This prestigious race only invited elite athletes from 15 different states. Assistant Coach Ray Hayes stated, “Several National best indoor times were turned in at the meet which was selected as the most competitive in the nation for the weekend”. Senior Andrew Madden and Sophomore Connor Hayes accepted their invitations and competed most admirably. At the 800 meter run, Madden set his personal best with a time of 1:58.76 which ranked him at 14th place. Hayes was accepted to be in both the 1 Mile and 2 Mile race, but only chose to participate in the 2 Mile to focus more on that particular race. Remarkably, Hayes also beat his personal best with a a time of 9:45.87, which put him in 8th place overall. This time ranks him as #1 in Kentucky Class A and is the #6 Sophomore 2-Mile time run in the entire country.

The girls track team have participated notably as well. Freshmen Anna Rupp and Ava Meyers have proved themselves as especially valuable assets in roles such as the 200 and 300 meter dash. Senior Gretchen Casper has enjoyed her final season, but finds her specialty of High Jump, “kind of lonely because no one else on the team does my role”. She did discuss the team’s strategy of trying to obtain another girl to also participate in the High Jump in order to gain more points as a team for future meets.

Senior Samuel Martin has enjoyed his first and final season on the boy’s team. “I have enjoyed this season a lot and am looking forward to future meets. Doing a different sport this year has added a cool variation and has been a blast. Having great teammates and coaches make it that much better”.

Their next meet is this Saturday, where LCA faces off with the Bourbon County track and field team. Go get em, Eagles!