Chamber Chorus Goes International

Spring Break happened last week and it seemed like many students were hitting up the beaches in Florida and South Carolina. However, for approximately 30 students, their Spring Break destination was somewhere a little less balmy. The LCA Mixed Chamber Choir had the opportunity to go on a Choir tour of Europe. They visited Ireland, Wales, and finished in England.

Their schedule was jam packed with sightseeing, shopping, and singing in some of the most charming venues. Their trip began in Dublin where they had a tour of Dublin Castle and sang at St. Brigid’s Parish Church. They then traveled by bus to Kilkenny, Ireland where they explored Kilkenny Castle. They also visited Mount Sion Secondary School were they performed for the Boy’s Choir there and also listened to the Irish choir.

Junior Erik Burroughs seemed to have thoroughly enjoyed meeting other Choirs. “My favorite part was the Mount Sion boys choir. The reason is because it’s cool to see how different choirs can be and what kind of music they find joy in singing together.”

From there the group took a ferry to Wales where they saw Cardiff which is the capital of the country. They walked the historic streets and saw St. Fagans National History Museum as well as Cardiff Castle. One of the many highlights of this trip was having the opportunity to sing with the Myndidislwyn Choir, a traditional Welsh Men’s Choir.

From there, it was back to the bus as they moved on to Stonehenge and then stopped at Windsor for a tour of Windsor Castle. After this, the group finished this jam-packed trip with a visit to London.

There the group sang at St. John’s Waterloo while also having lots of free time to simply explore the wonderful city. Many took full advantage of the high-end shops scattered throughout the city while some chose to investigate the more historic parts of the city.

Sophomore Alec Fouch seemed to lean more towards the latter as he states, “The trip was incredible and my favorite part was being able to visit all the historic locations. Especially Westminster Abbey, which had the graves of more famous people in history than I could count.”

The trip ended with a flourish as the students went to see Matilda the Musical at Cambridge Theatre.

Overall, it seemed like a fascinating, albeit busy, trip. The students did not seem to mind missing out on a traditional beach vacation as they were introduced to new activities, foods, and people. LCA is certainly proud to have such a distinguished and cultured group of individuals representing them abroad.