Keeneland Meets Signal Beginning of Spring

Students enjoy the fanfare of the Spring Meet at Keeneland.

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License

Spring is here, flowers are blooming, temperature is rising, and the greyness of winter is fading away. This means the brightness of summer is just around the corner. A Kentucky tradition that comes with spring is the spring meet at the Keeneland. If you are from Lexington, chances are, you can be found at the races at some point this spring. Keeneland spring meet opened up on April 4, and will continue through April 26.

As residents of Central Ketucky, many students enjoy going to the races as well. Junior Anna Riley Clark says, “I enjoy going to Keeneland. Keeneland is a great place to spend the day with your friends while enjoying the beautiful weather and watching Kentucky’s horses race at one of Kentucky’s most notable attractions.” The social aspect aside, Keeneland is a good place to see impressive horses race. Some of the finest thoroughbreds in the world have raced on Keeneland’s tracks. It has provided the backdrop for a major movie production about Secretariat, the famous Triple Crown winner. It is widely known that the horse racing industry is no game in the Bluegrass, and the most notable horse breeders can be found at Keeneland’s spring meet. It is an impressive place that is filled with years of history. Junior Landis Montgomery said that she likes Keeneland because “the white umbrellas that are offered in the boxes when it is sunny makes you feel so classy.” Other students such as Junior Dustin Wheatley like the idea of going to Keeneland because it gives them a reason to dress up. “I like to go to Keeneland because I like to dress up and look nice, and I like hanging out with the race track type people. It is always eventful and fun.” Whether you enjoy the races or not, it is a Kentucky tradition that everyone should take advantage of at some point. You will not regret it!