Filed under Sports

Tennis Team Looks Forward to Exciting Season

Junior Alex Horn serves in an early home match for the tennis team.

Blane Hardin

Blane Hardin

Blane Hardin

Spring is here, which means tennis season has begun. The tennis season officially started practice in February, but the first match wasn’t until March 15t against Frankfort. The boys’ and girls’ varsity teams are strong this year, and it could be said that the LCA boys and girl’s tennis teams are one of the best in the city right now. Junior Ben Philpot notes, “the boys team is the strongest it’s been in a while.” The girls team is large this year and has a good amount of talent. The tennis team consist of new players, and players who have been playing tennis for years. Sophomore Sarah Waddles has been playing tennis for as long as she can remember. She explains, “the tennis team is wonderful, the environment is encouraging and kind, and everyone wants you to do your best.”

The varsity girls team is led by Senior Jessica Hill, and also includes Juniors Grace Hager, Slade Howard, Lindsey Hubbard and Addelyn Benson. Underclassmen on the team include Sophomores Alexa Zeroogian, Ireland Owens, Kate Farley, Lydia Prince, Sallie Kate Goff, and Sarah Waddles. Kayla Corbin is the only freshman and Susanna Prince is an eighth grader on the team. The boys’ varsity team includes Senior Ben Gerken, Juniors Alex Horn, Levi Messner and Ben Philpot, Sophomores, Alex Dick, Leo Fults, Steven Young round out the team, along with seventh grader, Isaiah Smith.

The varsity boys team has not lost a single match out of the five matches they have played thus far. The girls team is 5-1. The girls team faced a tough Louisville team, North Oldham, last Saturday March 23, and unfortunately dropped that match. A couple weeks ago, the boys and girls both faced Corbin and came away with a huge win. Corbin is notorious for always having a successful tennis program, but LCA came through with a win for the girls 4-1, and a win for the boys 3-2. Each match played was a battle and all of them were pretty close. This is junior, Lindsey Hubbard’s first year on the team and she states that, “It’ fun being on the team! Everyone is very accepting and have done a good job at making practices and matches enjoyable. The match against Corbin was awesome considering I won my first singles match.” The Corbin match was a great experience for the LCA teams to boost their early season. Senior, Jessica Hill states that “This year is bittersweet! Coming into this year knowing I am the only senior while having a very young team under me I want to build them up so we can get back to state finals. Getting the early win over Corbin was a great start for our season! Having a good win over a quality team is what we needed to build our confidence going into other big matches this season.” The LCA tennis teams are definitely something to watch this spring, and the hope to advance into the state finals and replicate their performance from last year when the number one girl doubles team finished as state runner ups.

About the Writer
Grace Hager, Staff Writer

Grace is a junior and in her 11th year at LCA.  She participates in many extra curricular activities, including tennis.  She has played on the varsity...