Filed under Sports

March Madness Arrives

March Madness Arrives

March is one of the greatest times of the year for any sports fan, but especially those who enjoy college basketball. Clevery nicknamed March Madness, the month is full of the biggest upsets, last second buzzer beaters, and some of the biggest names in sports. The NCAA tournament happens every year in March, and it is perhaps one of the most bizarre sports events in history. Millions of brackets are filled out by fans from all across the country, every single year and there still has not been a perfect bracket. That is not without good reason though; the odds of guessing all 63 games correctly are 1 in 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 (that would be 1 in 9.2 Quintillion). To put the size of that number in perspective there are only about 7.5 Quintillion grains of sand on Earth. While it may be practically impossible for people to guess the bracket perfectly, that does not take away from the fun.

Most people try to watch as many games as possible during the next few weeks, even those who do usually not watch sports. Students all across the nation, and from our school, will be watching live as they try to root on their favorite teams and cheer the biggest upsets. Connor Vance, 11, says this about March Madness, “ You never know what is going to happen, look at last year UMBC beat the one seed Virginia.” This just shows how much interest viewers have in upsets, and there is no better place to find these upsets than the NCAA tournament. Another student, Wesley Payne, 11, said this about cheering for the underdog, “Everyone in the country always roots against Duke no matter who they play.” Duke is always one of the better teams in the tournament, and being from Kentucky (one of the school’s biggest rivals), students are raised to not like Duke. As the tournament leads up to the final championship game, there will be many more upsets and top 10 plays.

About the Writer
Ben Philpot, Staff Writer

Ben Philpot is a junior who has attended LCA for three years after moving to Lexington from London, Kentucky, where he attended North Laurel Middle School....