A Delicious Way to Celebrate Math

A Delicious Way to Celebrate Math

Maggie Epling poses one of the many pies that students brought in to celebrate Pi Day on 3.14.

March 14 is perhaps the greatest day of the year for any science and math person. Not only is the birthday of the great Albert Einstein and the death of Stephen Hawking, it is also known around the world as Pi Day (beaucase it is 3.14). Pi is something that has been known in the math world for close to 4,000 years now, dating all the way back to ancient Babylonia. Pi is mentioned in many ways throughout history, not in just circles,  it is even seen in the Bible (1 Kings 7:23). As time continued pi became more and more important to not only math, but also the citizen world. We got to know the symbol of pi that we know today in the 1700’s, “Mathematicians began using the Greek letter π in the 1700s. Introduced by William Jones in 1706, use of the symbol was popularized by Leonhard Euler, who adopted it in 1737.”  Today pi is used in everything from medicine to aircraft designers, and navigation to calculating the number of deaths in a population.

In math classes all around the world, students participate in activities that involve pi and its clever pun pie. Some of these activities happen within the walls of LCA, such as a pie baking contest, who can memorize the most digits of pie, and learning fun facts about the irrational number itself. Another modern use of pi that students take advantage of is great deals on round foods like pizzas and pies. Meyer this year had their pre-made pies on sale for $3.14 (the first three digits of pi), other places such as Pie Five Pizza you can get any 11-inch pizza for only $3.14 as well.

While you think Pi may be something that you only see in math classes, or gets you good deals on food, it is much much more than that. It is not just the irrational number that describes the ratio circumference to diameter, it is a number that has changed the lives of everyone in the world. Without pi civilization would not be where it is today, its influence on the world has been rivaled by none.