Well-Deserved Success At KUNA Conference 2019

Nearly 30 students attended KUNA, a model United Nations program, in Louisville.

Erin Oliver, Editor

This past Sunday, LCA students embarked on the annual KUNA Conference in Louisville, Kentucky. The KYYMCA describes the conference as, “…a 3-day experiential learning conference in which students participate directly in simulated international diplomacy. KUNA offers students the opportunity to experience the richness of cultures from around the world, develop empathy, and hone their critical thinking skills while engaging with a wide variety of perspectives and global issues”.

In other words, students are given the opportunity to choose a country in which to represent and develop a resolution in order to benefit their country and entirety of the UN. Unlike last year’s single country representation, LCA brought two countries, those being The United Kingdom and Japan. Seniors Samuel Martin, Haidyn Chudy, Katherine Childers, and Caleb Harper constructed the U.K.’s resolution. Their work requested the UN realize the importance of freedom of political speaking on social media platforms, and explained heir citizens are being denied the right to civil political discourse. Their resolution succeeded in both accounts it presented in and was even honored by KUNA’s Secretary General.

Katherine Childers, the President of the school’s Y-Club, explained her conference visit and role. “I loved being able to share my last KUNA with some of the best people. As a representative of the U.K., three others and I wrote a resolution to the UN that would help better the world. I was able to debate it with other students from all over and Kentucky and have it signed into law by a mock Secretary General.”

Japan’s resolution was covered by Brooke Tudor, Madalyne Kinnett, and Megan Rodgers. They requested the checking up on prisons in Japan due to the harsh treatment taking place there. Although the resolution did not pass, the resolution portrayed excellent effort and a detailed plan of going about the prison check ups.

Three students also participated as LCA’s advocate team. Grace Jacobs, Brennan Graham, and Michael McKinney discussed the resolutions presented along with other schools’ advocates. Seniors Andrew Madden and Ben Whitman participated on the Security Council as part of one of the different groups.

The remaining students acted as ambassadors, similar to the role of a delegate at the sister program KYA. These students asked thought-provoking questions, debated back and forth, and witnessed each resolution group present their well-thought out ideas.

Senior Julia Lawson, who obtained the role of an ambassador remarked, “KUNA was such a rewarding experience. Every year I look forward to the people I get to meet as well as learning more about international affairs. I think it’s very important for high school students to be aware of what’s going on in the world and for them to voice their own opinions on different issues. KUNA is a safe space where Kentucky high schoolers can speak their minds and hear other ideas.”

Senior JT Sparks, who also served as an ambassador, discussed his first experience at KUNA.“KUNA was super fun. It was an experience that helped me understand the issues of other countries and encouraged me to participate and use my voice.”

After leaving the conference’s General assembly, and a brief lunch stop at Chick-fil-A, students arrived back at LCA, perhaps tired, but also encouraged as they obtained a better grasp of world issues and civil ways of solving them.

About the Writer
Erin Oliver, Editor

Erin is senior who has attended LCA for 5 years.  She played varsity volleyball for one year, but now enjoys spending her free time with friends and family,...