Students Make First Visit to CPAC

Students Make First Visit to CPAC

APUSH students head to Washington, DC for the annual CPAC conference.

The Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) occurs every year in the nation’s capital. It is an event where hundreds of conservatives from around the world come to listen to speakers and share ideas for the future. This year’s event took place in Washington, D.C. from February 27 through March 2. Some of the speakers at the conference included Senators Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson, conservative personalities Rick Harrison and Diamond & Silk, and businessman Mike Lindell from My Pillow. Perhaps the most popular speakers were Vice President Mike Pence and President Donald Trump.

Last week seven students from AP United States History, along with their teacher Mr. Perkins , had the chance to experience these speakers up close as they traveled to Washington D.C.  At the conference, students were able to interact with others, young and old, who share similar political and moral ideas. When there were not speakers on the big stage, or ones the students were not interested in, attendees had the option to attend activism boot camps or break out sessions. These were smaller group sessions with guest speakers on specific topics. They ranged from “China: the Global Menace” to “Why He Won and She Lost”. The conference’s main theme this year was supposed to be ‘What makes America Great’, and this is what most speakers discussed, but some approached the theme in a different way. They saw this as an opportunity to showcase what does not make America great, and most chose the fact that America is a capitalist country and will never be a socialist one.

One student who attended the conference was Nathan Maggard, 11. Nathan is a leader of the Young Conservatives Club here at LCA. Of the conference, he noted,  “It reaffirmed why I am a conservative and gave me new information to defend my viewpoints.” Another student who attended this conference was Jason Ihrig, 11.  He found the event to be different than he expected, “It was a good experience, but it was also not what I expected. It was a lot more focused on young people than I thought.” Mr. Perkins had been to CPAC once before and he had this to say about how it had changed since the last time he was there. “In 2016, Trump would not have been a welcomed individual at CPAC, but however today they have sought to align themselves with Trump. The last time I was there, Trump did not fit the mold of conservatism. It also differed because the demographic was overall different, there was a lot more young people. ” Over all CPAC was a great experience for all those involved, and it changed the lives of many.