Students Build Community Through Common Work Experience

Seniors enjoy their job serving the elderly at Chandler's in Legacy Reserve. Gretchen Casper, Madalyne Kinnett, Julia Lawson, Kathryn Childers, Erin Oliver, Ben Gerken, Brooke Tudor, Charlotte Fults.

It is not uncommon for an LCA student to have a job. From babysitting to frying chicken and saying “my pleasure” at Chick-fil-A, LCA students are no strangers to working for a paycheck. One popular job is working at Legacy Reserve, an assisted living center located right across the Summit. Many students work as servers at Chandler’s, the restaurant inside the nursing home where many residents eat at every night.

Senior Reagan Newman loves the work environment and people she has been able to interact with. She explains the value of working with so many classmates. “It’s a good senior year experience since I’m getting to grow closer with some people who I’ve rarely talked to throughout high school,” she says.

The hours students work at Chandler’s accommodate their schedules. The shifts typically run from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., and students usually work two to three times each week. The work community is very close, and it even has a group message that the workers all communicate in. They share iPhone reactions and funny photos.
Students agree that one of the best parts of the job is the close community.

Working with the elderly proves it’s challenges, from forgetful residents to accidental gas, there is never a dull moment at Chandler’s. Senior Erin Oliver seems to enjoy the experience.  She describes some unexpected benefits of the job, “Working at Legacy has taught me a lot about patience and hard work. I’m really glad I took the job and am able to work with some of my closest friends.” Senior Ben Gerken agrees. “Legacy has been such a great experience for me because of my friendly coworkers and the good-natured residents that I serve on a daily basis. Not only does Legacy provide a welcoming work environment but it’s flexible hours make it easy to fit in with my hectic schedule.”

From funny stories to a schedule that is not demanding, it is clear that working at Legacy Reserve provides a great first job experience.