Filed under News

Tips for Surviving the ACT

LCA students will be taking an official ACT at school on Wednesday Feb. 20.

Tips for Surviving the ACT

Every year, almost 2 million students from all across the nation, take the ACT, a standardized test that is often used for college admissions. Next Wednesday, Feb. 20, LCA, and a plethora of other schools, will be hosting the test for its students. The ACT is one of the most important tests students will take in their high school careers; it not only can help them get into the college of their choice, but it can also help students earn scholarships. Since this test is so important, here is a list of the four best tips to help students get the score they want.

1. Relax as much as you can the night before you take the test. It may sound crazy, but try not to think about the test. Do something you enjoy and do not stress, and do not try to cram information in.
  2. Skip the hard questions. There is no rule that you have to do the questions in order, so do the questions you know first.
  3. Use the process of elimination. Some of the answers are clearly incorrect, so mark out the ones that you know are wrong and make it easier for you to choose the right one.
  4. Answer every question, no matter what. Even if you start to run out of time, bubble in answers for every question. You are not penalized for questions that you get wrong.

These four pieces of advice will not only help students perform well on the ACT, but they also are helpful when applied to also other standardized test such as the SAT.  Zeke Grier, 11, has been preparing for the ACT for the past couple of months, “ I have been practicing and doing test-prep for the past few months, and I feel like it will pay off in the end. I want to go to college for free.”

While there are benefits to doing well on the ACT, it is important that students remember that it is just one component of a college or scholarship application.  Regardless of how a student performs on the ACT, the score does not define who that student is as a person.  Students will do well to remind themselves as they take the test that the most important thing to do is to do their best.

About the Writer
Ben Philpot, Staff Writer

Ben Philpot is a junior who has attended LCA for three years after moving to Lexington from London, Kentucky, where he attended North Laurel Middle School....