Filed under Entertainment

‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ Transforms World War I War Footage into a Compelling Movie

Hello, everyone, and welcome back to another movie review. This week I had the privilege to go see a limited time movie called They Shall Not Grow Old, which is directed by Peter Jackson, who you better know as the director of the Lord of Rings trilogy. They Shall Not Grow Old is a World War I documentary which covers the war from the British perspective. But here’s the catch: the footage used for the documentary is actually World War I film footage, edited and transformed to color to enhance the movie-goers experience. The dialogue used in the movie comes from actual diaries from soldiers at the front. Jackson uses entries from these diaries to narrate the the movie.

I’ve got to say that this movie is perfect film making. Jackson’s directing and the ability of his team to transform 100- year old film footage into a modern colorized and immersive experience is absolutely incredible. Not only were the visuals great, but the sound editing and mixing were incredible as well, giving the viewer the actual sounds of cannons being fired, men talking in the trenches, as well as gun fire. This movie will leave you speechless and make viewers feel like they are in the trenches with those poor soldiers. When I asked Mason Wheeler, 12, what he thought of the movie, he said, “That was maybe the most incredible movie experience I’ve had. I mean, that was a spectacular movie.” Phillip Scott, 12, also said, “That was a great movie. Really makes you speechless at times and makes you wish you don’t ever have to go to war.”

Take their word for it and go see this movie, it’s worth the watch.

About the Writer
Gabe Smith, Staff Writer

Weighing at 5'8, 165 pounds Senior Gabe Smith is the man for all things movie and sports related. With a passion for laughter and speaking the truth Gabe...