Filed under Showcase

Government Shutdown #2?

The United States Government experienced an unorthodox partial government shutdown from the lengthy period of December 22, 2018 to January 25, 2019.

This entailed that for those thirty-five days, government operations deemed unnecessary were put at a halt. Certain organizations such as national parks were closed, but agencies like the police force remained at work. This meant those in unnecessary agencies were not receiving pay during this period of time. Its lengthy time cost the country’s economy around a whopping $11 billion.

So what was the elaborate reason for the detrimental shutdown? President Trump and Democrats in the House were not shockingly at disagreement over border security and could not come to an amicable solution. Because Democrats refused to incorporate a plan involving a border wall, Trump made the decision for the partial shutdown in hopes they would come to his terms.

While the shutdown ended last month, no resolution was proposed. Top Democrats and Republicans on the conference committee involved with creating a border-security proposal have until February 15th to offer a resolution or the country may face another shutdown.

Democrats disagreement stem from their outrage over the amount of detainees the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is able to hold and house. They wish for there to be a cap on the number of immigrants with criminal records, while Republicans do not wish for criminal cap.

Regarding the looming deadline, Republican Senator Richard Shelby of Alabama said, “I’m not confident we’re going to get there, I’m hoping we will get there,” (Business Insider, Fox News).

Democrat Senator Jon Tester of Montana had similar remarks saying he was, “…not positive we’ll to end up with a deal, but that they can deal with the challenges we have on the southern border in a common sense way,” (Business Insider).

While there seems to be little hope for a resolution meeting the deadline, Americans remain hopeful the quarreling will come to an end and quickly find an end goal.

When asked about their thoughts on the shutdown, LCA students had a fair view on the matter.

Senior Julia Lawson said, “In my opinion, I’m against it. If they haven’t come to a resolution thus far then pushing it back farther isn’t going to do anything. It’s hurting more than it is helping as many Americans are not getting paid at this time. I do not think this is a good solution and hope they reach an agreement by Friday.”

Senior Samuel Martin remarked, “I think that Trump is going to agree to the deal made in Congress, even though he is not gaining anything by it.”

Americans remain hopeful that the divided house and president will come to an agreement in order to end the rapid loss of money and distrust of the American people.

About the Writer
Erin Oliver, Editor

Erin is senior who has attended LCA for 5 years.  She played varsity volleyball for one year, but now enjoys spending her free time with friends and family,...