Giving the Gift of Warmth

February 8, 2019

Giving the Gift of Warmth

Erin Oliver, 12, adds a donation to the box for seniors.  The school is collecting hats, gloves, and socks for the Catholic Action Center who will distribute them to those in need.

Erin Oliver, 12, adds a donation to the box for seniors. The school is collecting hats, gloves, and socks for the Catholic Action Center who will distribute them to those in need.

Mrs. Koett, senior English and speech teacher, is running a clothing drive for the Catholic Action Center. Students are encouraged to bring in new or gently used warm weather gear to support the cause. Hats, gloves, scarves, and coats are all accepted. There are four boxes, one for each grade level, at the student entrance where students can drop off their donations. The class to bring in the most clothing items will receives donuts. This is the first clothing drive LCA has had in awhile, and it is inspiring to see Eagles doing things to give back to the community.

The motivation behind the clothing drive is humble as well as heartwarming. Mrs. Koett said she and her husband have always had a heart for the homeless, but she felt especially convicted to help out during the snow days LCA had this past week. She said she was watching the news when she discovered the Catholic Action Center had serviced over two hundred individuals. After hearing the staggering number of Lexingtonians who need a helping hand and thinking of all the ways God has blessed her, she decided to see if she could help in any way.  

Senior class president Cate Crosbie also felt convicted to help and encouraged the students to participate in such a great cause. “Mrs. Koett mentioned to me that the Catholic Action Center did not have enough gloves, socks, and hats to suffice the amount of people they have coming in, so we thought these donations would be a really neat way for our school to meet a need in our community and be involved in something bigger than ourselves.”

As stated above, the items will be donated to the Catholic Action Center where people can come and take them as needed. The Catholic Action Center also has a bus called the Compassion Caravan that drives around and hands out items to those who are unable to come to the building.  

The Catholic Action Center is a “house of hospitality” known nationwide. The Lexington site is located on 1055 Industry Road downtown. This organization was started by Dorothy Day, a famous Catholic. She once stated, “”We all know the long loneliness and the only solution is love and love comes in community.” There is no doubt that love is a main focus at the Catholic Action Center. They have served over 5.5 million meals, offered over 890,000 nights of shelter, and given over 225,000 showers.

Students have responded well and items are already being brought in to contribute to the cause. The Senior class was in the lead as of Wednesday but the other grades certainly are not giving in to the fierce competition.

It certainly is touching to see our students give back to our community. Being a part of a Christian school requires us to walk, act, and give like Christ would. Just as the Bible says, “”The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’” -Matthew 25:40