Filed under News

LCA Loses Football and Girls’ Soccer Coaches

Head Coach Casey Greer of the girls' soccer team and Head Coach Ethan Atchley of the football team announce their departures.

LCA loses one of the best football coaches in the state with Coach Ethan Atchley’s departure announced to the team on January 2, 2019. Atchley gave everything for LCA in his 5 years as head coach at the school. His best season came in 2016 when he led the Eagles to an undefeated regular season and a district championship. Atchley also appeared

with the team in the regional championship four consecutive times. Recently, LCA was one yard away from winning its first regional championship in years. Having lost many outstanding senior players last year, the expectations for the Eagles this year were relatively low, so it was a surprising year for many skeptics when the team finished the season 9-4.

Football Head Coach Ethan Atchley speaks with Dustin Wheatley, 11, on the sidelines during a game.

They team has expressed disappointment with the head coach leaving to take over the program at Bullitt East. Atchley had a temendous impact on a number of players and several had special relationships with him. Team members respected his knowledge and commitment to the sport of football. However,

it appears that most of the staff is returning and a head coach should be announced “soon.” The team is not letting Atchley’s departure stop them, as players have already started pre-season workouts.  Most still seem optimistic in hopes for another surprising season.

The football players are not the only ones mourning the loss of a coach.  Casey Greer of the girls’ soccer team has also announced her resignation after 1 year of head coaching duties. According to players she is leaving for personal reasons. According to Riley Fairchild, 11, she left because “she was tired of coaching, her husband’s job may cause her to move. ” The coach for next year has not been announced, and at this time there is no speculation as to who will be the next coach.

About the Writer
Dustin Wheatley, Staff Writer

Dustin is a junior who describes himself as a “slightly above average football player with the IQ of one." He adds that he often says he lives in his...