Filed under Entertainment

‘Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse’ Breathes New Life Into A Familiar Subject

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse is an animated new addition to the Marvel cinematic universe (coined by fans as the “mcu”), but it does not exhaust the ongoing series, nor does it exhaust the story of Spider-Man himself. Its colorful and unique style of animation gives its watchers a new interpretation of cartoon and of its genre in its entirety. As you watch, dialogue boxes and the iconic thwip, the noise Spider-Man’s webshooters create, scatter throughout the film, a creative and endearing nod to the comics and its fans, as well as the character himself. Though, it is important to note that this film is not about Peter Parker, the Spider-Man many people know and love and, for some, maybe the only Spider-Man they know. This film is about Miles Morales, a Black Hispanic teenager who experiences a similar spider bite as the original web-crawler himself. Though this film does include Parker, an important character and mentor to Miles (in all his forms), Morales is the main character who drives the film, yet again breathing new life into the Spider-Man films and storylines. The film also is aware of its protagonist’s roots, though straying from a direct plotline about race, which might upset some viewers who may think that the film is trying to be political just for the sake. Miles speaks in Spanish with his mother often throughout the film, reminding viewers that Miles is not only a part of two worlds because of the powers he’s acquired, but also because that is simply who he has always been. And just as Miles has to gain confidence in his mundane life, much is the same for his life as a superhero.

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse is not only a fresh take on its genre — both superhero and animation — but also on the character that stands in its foreground. Its a successful attempt at reviving an audience that may be exhausted by the sheer amount of superhero films that are being produced today, and also succeeds at reviving an audience that may be exhausted by the character of Spider-Man, himself.

This film is one hour and fifty-six minutes long, and stands strong with a 97% Rotten Tomatoes score that it certainly lives up to.