Our Own Gabe Smith on the Golden Globes

January 5, 2019

Our Own Gabe Smith on the Golden Globes

Joe Shlabotnik, https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeshlabotnik/365494406

Hello everyone and welcome back to another movie review. This weekend on Sunday January 6, at 8PM the Golden Globes will air. For this article I will give my vote on who should win each category specifically for movies, I will not attempt to do TV shows. I think this years’ movies are not the most spectacular compared to last years’ movies, but we will save that for another time. Now lets kick off the voting!!

Best Motion Picture- Drama

Blank Panther

BlacKkKlansman

Bohemian Rhapsody

If Beale Street Could Talk

A Star Is Born

-Each movie is terrific in its own way. Each movie except Bohemian Rhapsody should have a decent chance at winning but I think A Star Is Born has the best chance here. With Gaga and Cooper’s acting, as well as Cooper’s directing and writing A Star Is Born has a significant edge over the others. Keep an eye on If Beale Street Could Talk or BlacKkKlansman for an upset. Each movie has great directing, acting, and an excellent screenplay.

My Pick: A Star Is Born

Best Actress in a Motion Picture- Drama

Glenn Close (The Wife)

Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)

Nicole Kidman (Destroyer)

Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

Rosamund Pike (A Private War)

– Lady Gaga takes the award here. That actress performed perfectly alongside Bradley Cooper, and she also wrote the music for A Star Is Born. Gaga also has the edge due to it being her first time starring in a movie.  Look for Rosamund Pike for an upset. Pike did a terrific job in A Private War and I wouldn’t be surprised if she took home the award.

My Pick: Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)

Best Actor in a Motion Picture- Drama

Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)

Willem Dafoe (At Eternity’s Gate)

Lucas Hedges (Boy Erased)

Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)

John David Washington (BlackkKlansman)

– This is going to be a battle between Cooper and Malek. Once again, Willem Dafoe received the only nomination for his movie. (Last year he was the only nominee from The Florida Project.) This time he is nominated for his work in  At Eternity’s Gate, but I don’t expect him to pull the win out this year. Look For David Washington and Hedges in the future, they are two spectacular young actors who will win awards as they get older. But this category will come down to Cooper or Malek. Cooper did an outstanding job as Jackson Maine in A Star Is Born. To top it off, Cooper has a great singing voice which blends well with Lady Gaga’s. But Rami Malek was magnificent in Bohemian Rhapsody, basically carrying that entire movie on his back. Almost everyone is a huge Queen fan, and Malek did an excellent job portraying the great Freddie Mercury. I’m going to take Cooper with this one, but don’t be surprised if Malek can steal one from A Star Is Born.

My Pick: Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born

Best Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy

Crazy Rich Asians

The Favourite

Green Book

Mary Poppins Returns

Vice

– I personally loved all these movies, but it will be a battle between The Favourite and Green Book. Crazy Rich Asians was one of the funniest movies I’ve seen in a long time ,but I’m not expecting it to win this one. Vice and Mary Poppins Returns won’t be able to take this one, even if they had the best actor and actress. I personally want to go with the The Favourite. The Favourite was arguably one the best movies of the year, maybe behind A Star Is Born. With Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, and Olivia Colman’s performances as well as the terrific directing, screenplay, score, and cinematography, The Favourite will surely give A Star Is Born a run for its money at the Oscars. Green Book is also a well done and lovable movie that has great acting, directing, and score. Ali and Viggo Mortensen’s chemistry in Green Book is terrific and it should be an even match-up for either movie. I’m taking The Favourite with this close match up.

My Pick: The Favorite

Best Actress in a Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy

Emily Blunt (Mary Poppins Returns)

Olivia Colman (The Favourite)

Elise Fisher (Eight Grade)

Charlize Theron (Tully)

Constance Wu (Crazy Rich Asians)

– In my opinion, Emily Blunt appears to be the favorite in this category. While I think Theron, Fisher, and Wu did an excellent job, it will boil down to a match up between Colman and Blunt. Blunt did an outstanding job as Mary Poppins, having to carry this movie just like Rami Malek In Bohemian Rhapsody. While Colman does a great job hanging with Stone and Weisz, she is overshadowed by her co-stars, and that’s why I think Blunt will take this award home.

My Pick: Emily Blunt, Mary Poppins Returns

Best Actor in a Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy

Christian Bale (Vice)

Lin-Manuel Miranda (Mary Poppins Returns)

Viggo Mortensen (Green Book)

Robert Redford (The Old Man & the Gun)

John C. Reilly (Stan & Ollie)

– This might be the last movie in which we will ever see Robert Redford. Redford recently announced he was retiring from acting, leaving behind an outstanding career that included classic movies like Barefoot in the Park, Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid, The Sting, Out of Africa, and The Old Man & The Gun. Movie fans will surely miss this incredible actor who also founded the annual Sundance Film Festival. While John C. Reilly will always regret doing Holmes and Watson, he at least made up for it by portraying Oliver Hardy in the fun loving movie Stan & Ollie. Lin-Manuel Miranda did a decent job in Mary Poppins Returns, but expect this category to come down to Bale, Redford, and Mortensen. Christian Bale portrays former Vice President Dick Cheney in Vice. Bale does a superb job and has the best chance at winning this category, not to mention the amount of weight and makeup Bale had to put on to perfectly portray Cheney, the most hated vice-president in American history. It’s possible that Mortensen or Redford may upset Bale, but don’t count on it.

My Pick: Christian Bale, Vice

Best Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture

Amy Adams (Vice)

Claire Foy (First Man)

Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)

Emma Stone (The Favourite)

Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)

– This is definitely the most difficult category, as all five of these actresses put forth incredible performances. I personally love Claire Foy in First Man, basically stealing the show from Ryan Gosling. However, I would put her as the weakest link, mainly because the other four also stole their shows or were able to match their supporting actors. Amy Adams may have the best night, as she will do well in the TV show categories for her show Sharp Objects. But Adams was also Mrs. Cheney in Vice, and she does a great job of hanging with Bale. Weisz and Stone perform exceptionally well in The Favourite which may come back to bite them because votes will cut them in half. I think the surprise winner in this category will be Regina King for If Beale Street Could Talk. King, like Stone and Weisz, steals the show from her lead actor and helps elevate If Beale Street Could Talk to another level. This will be a very close call, expect anyone to win, but I’m taking Regina King.

My Pick: Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

Best Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture

Mahershala Ali (Green Book)

Timothee Chalamet (Beautiful Boy)

Adam Driver (BlackkKlansman)

Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

Sam Rockwell (Vice)

– Sam Rockwell is back to defend his title as Best Supporting Actor. Last year, he swept all movie awards with his performance in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, and this year he’s back as President George W. Bush in Vice. While Rockwell does a good job as Bush, don’t expect him to win this year. Driver does a great job in BlacKkKlansman but didn’t really take over or steal the show from David Washington. Mahershala Ali stands out the most in this category and should win this year. Ali does a magnificent job in Green Book, having great chemistry with his co-star Mortensen. However, don’t count out Richard E.Grant. His performance in Can You Ever Forgive Me? as well as Melissa McCarthy’s, was spectacular. He almost steals the show from her. Chalamet did a great job as well in Beautiful Boy, taking on the role of a drug addict who has to battle his addiction. Don’t expect Chalamet to win this year, but just like David Washington and Lucas Hedges, he will win plenty of awards down the road. I’m going with Ali in this category.

My Pick: Mahershala Ali, Green Book

Best Motion Picture- Animated

Incredibles 2

Isle of Dogs

Mirai

Ralph Breaks the Internet

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

– This will be a battle between Incredibles 2 and Spider Man: Into the Spider Verse. Pixar has only lost once, and that was back when Cars 2 didn’t win. Don’t count out Isle of Dogs either; it has also gotten great reviews. I think Spider Man will take this award home.

My Pick: Spider-Man Into the Spider Verse

Best Motion Picture- Foreign Language

Capernaum

Girl

Never Look Away

Roma

Shoplifters

– This should be the easiest of the category’s with Roma taking home this one. Roma has been the talk of the town with it’s excellent screenplay, acting, and directing. Look for Shoplifters for a possible upset, it has also been getting great reviews.

My Pick: Roma

Best Director- Motion Picture

Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)

Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)

Peter Farrelly (Green Book)

Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)

Adam McKay (Vice)

– This might be the one category that A Star Is Born doesn’t win. Bradley Cooper does an excellent job and he should have a good shot at winning, but Alfonso Cuaron for Roma will pull off the upset, in my opinion. Cuaron does a magnificent job of guiding this movie to a stellar performance. Spike Lee also has a shot at winning with his directing of BlacKkKlansman. Sorry for McKay and Farrelly but they don’t have much of a shot this year. This will come down to Cooper or Cuaron, but I’m gonna have to go with Cuaron for Roma.

My Pick: Alfonso Cuaron, Roma

Best Screenplay- Motion Picture

Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)

Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara (The Favourite)

Barry Jenkins (If Beale Street Could Talk)

Adam McKay (Vice)

Peter Farrelly, Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie (Green Book)

– This is also very tough category with all five of these movies having a good chance at winning. Green Book and Vice seem to be the weakest ones, though, and it should come down to either Cuaron or Davis and McNamara. Both The favorite and Roma had excellent writing, but I think I’m going to give Davis and McNamara the edge on this one.

My Pick: Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara, The Favourite

Best Original Score- Motion Picture

Marco Beltrami (A Quiet Place)

Alexandre Desplat (Isle of Dogs)

Ludwig Goransson (Black Panther)

Justin Hurwitz (First Man)

Marc Shaiman (Mary Poppins Returns)

– Marco Beltrami gives A Quiet Place it’s only nomination this year, which is down right ridiculous because A Quiet Place was better than half of the movies this year (specifically Bohemian Rhapsody). However, Betrami won’t pull this one off. While Black Panther had a very new and modern score mixed with African-style music, I see this category coming down to Hurwitz and Shaiman. Most of you will know, Hurwitz when I tell you that he did the acclaimed score for La La Land, and now he’s back with a sci-fi style for First Man. It’s always tough having to win against actual musicals, which is where Mary Poppins has the advantage with Shaiman creating the score. But don’t ever count out Alexandre Desplat. Desplat is also back to defend his title, having swept the Globes and Oscars with his acclaimed score for Shape of Water last year. Isle of Dogs is capable of winning, and one could argue that Desplat is the best composer right now. Also The Greatest Showman was nominated last year and didn’t even come close to winning, finishing below Desplat for Shape of Water and Hans Zimmer for Dunkirk, proving that musicals don’t always win. I see Hurwitz winning this one, but just barely.

My Pick: Justin Hurwitz, First Man

Best Orginal Song- Motion Picture

All the Stars (Black Panther)

Girl in the Movies (Dumplin)

Requiem For a Private War (A Private War)

Revelation (Boy Erased)

Shallow (A Star Is Born)

– This is no contest, Shallow easily.

My Pick: Shallow, A Star Is Born