Filed under Sports

Kyle Rode Shines at the Start of His Senior Season

Kyle Rode, 12, drives past a player from Cordia at the start of his senior season.

Kyle Rode, 12, LCA’s star basketball workhorse, has been on an athletic tear not seen since Dillon Wheatley’s days at running back. I sat down with Kyle one-on-one to discuss his tremendous season. Kyle mostly has been seen as a slasher and passer, but now he has improved his shooting becoming an overall threat. Kyle said he wanted to “improve my shooting to help the team and improve and get ready for college.”  Kyle has also seen a step up in his scoring.  He is averaging 34.5 points per game through the first four games. With this kind of production, none of his teammates have scored more than 12 points yet. Kyle said this has no effect on the team because “we don’t have a lot of selfishness on the team, also with me getting double teamed a lot there will be a ton of opportunities for them to hit a wide open three.” He added, “We have a lot of guys that can shoot and shoot really well”.

In the last game against Tates Creek, Kyle had 33 points. He also hit a miraculous shot to end the half. He was seen hitting the 26-foot show and just calmly walked off the court. When Kyle was asked about this he said, “I take it play by play. Three points is a huge momentum swing, but I didn’t want his teammates to think they had won the game after the first half. They still had to go back out and play hard the second half”.

When I asked Kyle about his next game against the undefeated Scott County Cardinals, Kyle said he was excited.  He added, “It will be a lot of fun between two good teams, us and Scott County.” When I asked him about any rivalries with Scott County, he said, “There is a rivalry because of their success.” When I asked him about Scott County’s star player Michael Moreno, Kyle had nothing but good things to say about him. “We played over the summer he is a great player and a great guy. It will be an interesting game.”

Finally, Kyle has committed to Liberty University to play basketball next fall. When I asked him about Liberty and if he could make an immediate impact, his response was humble.  He said, “it dependd on what coach wants to do. They have a great program and great players.” He will have a similar role there to what he has at LCA and it will change day game by game.

LCA takes on Scott county tonight at 6:30 at home. The Eagles will try to become 4-0 to start the new season.

About the Writer
Dustin Wheatley, Staff Writer

Dustin is a junior who describes himself as a “slightly above average football player with the IQ of one." He adds that he often says he lives in his...