Filed under News

Remembering George H.W. Bush

Late Friday night, on November 30, the 43rd President of the United States was declared dead at the age of 94.

George Herbert Walker Bush was born into a very wealthy and political family on June 12, 1924. At age 17, he began dating his future wife Barbara Bush, then a year later, on his 18th birthday, enlisted in the U.S. Navy. This made Bush the youngest pilot in the Navy during World War II. The young future president flew a total of 58 combat missions. One of these missions included a near death experience when his plane was hit during a bombing run in the Pacific. Because of his bravery in this mission, he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

He later received a degree in economics in 1948 after attending Yale University. He found success in the oil industry when he moved to Midland, Texas.

Bush made his way into politics when he became chairman of the Harris County Republican Party in 1963. After an unsuccessful Senate bit, he became elected to the U.S. House of Representatives, serving two terms there. By 1971, he became the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, as well as the director of the CIA by 1976.

He initially fought for the role of president in 1980, but lost to Ronald Reagan. However, he was chosen as Reagan’s vice-presidential running mate, and served with Reagan both of his terms. In 1988, he won the presidency to Democrat nominee Michael Dukakis.

Throughout his presidency, Bush skillfully handled foreign policies and foreign affairs. While this was his strong suit, he struggled maintaining a healthy relationship with the American people. After promising to lower taxes, the exact opposite occurred. Because of this situation, Bush lost much of the trust of Americans.

After his first and final term, his post-presidency was spent supporting his son who became president in 2000, and joined together with former president Bill Clinton to help those affected by Hurricane Katrina. Him and Clinton remained close friends for the remainder of his life. In 2011, former President Barack Obama honored Bush with the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

After his wife Barbara passed away this past April at age 92, many did not believe Bush would last much longer, especially due to his amount of grief.

One of their granddaughters, Barbara Pierce Bush paid tribute to their late grandfather. “We, of course, expected our grandfather to pass away soon—-he was 94—-and yet it came as such a shock. And we miss him already very much because  he really was the center of our family. And yet, I think I also get a lot of joy knowing that he’s with our grandmother now”.

Despite their differences, Bush requested President Trump to attend his funeral, differing from the late John McCain who held a similar relationship with the current president as Bush did.

Aaron Merz, the senior Government and Economics teacher, who was in 5th through the 9th grade during Bush’s presidency noted, “He may be the last president who was committed to public service, not just the pursuit of power.”

On December 5th, Former President George W. Bush had the honors of speaking his father’s eulogy. “And we’re going to miss you. Your decency, sincerity and kind soul will stay with us forever. So through the tears, let us know the blessing of knowing and loving you, a great and noble man. The best father a son or daughter could ever have.”

About the Writer
Erin Oliver, Editor

Erin is senior who has attended LCA for 5 years.  She played varsity volleyball for one year, but now enjoys spending her free time with friends and family,...