Filed under Opinion

Why I Am Not a Fan of School Lunches

Why I Am Not a Fan of School Lunches

Enjoying lunch together, Macy Crump, 11, Stephen Davis, 10, Lily Springer, 11, and Logan Stivers, 11, demonstrate different options for lunch. Lily has the school lunch of the day, a sub from Jimmy Johns.  Logan makes his lunch out of items from Wings.

Enjoying lunch together, Macy Crump, 11, Stephen Davis, 10, Lily Springer, 11, and Logan Stivers, 11, demonstrate different options for lunch. Lily has the school lunch of the day, a sub from Jimmy Johns. Logan makes his lunch out of items from Wings.

Through the three years I have attended LCA, I have tried to avoid the school lunches the school provides. I do this  because I have eaten them countless times without change. In my experience, they are often cold and not worth the price.  For example, I went to get one of the Chick fil-A salads and I was appalled to find out that it would cost me $6.50.  My other issues with the lunches are that it is the same food every day of the week and, for many people, it is just not enough food.

I asked fellow students to tell me about their experiences.  They made comments such as, “It’s better than public school, but I only have school lunch once a month if that.” Junior Maya Grasso added, “It’s not worth standing in the line.”  Other students are like Maya and only eat the school lunch occasionally.  Aaron Bolling, 11, just ate his first school lunch this year. I, myself, would rather starve instead of eating some lukewarm, soggy chicken on Mondays. 

Finally, new ordering procedures this year make school lunches hard to attain when a student leaves his or her lunch at home or forgets to pack one. It is not as easy as just asking the first hour teacher to put it in for the student. Now, if the student has not ordered by Sunday night, he or she may not be able to get a lunch. In these situations, there are not many alternatives.  Students can buying food from the Wings store, if they have money, or they can call a parent to bring lunch.

In the end, I don’t believe the school lunches are worth the price we pay. Some, like me, would rather go hungry than eat the same old thing each and every week.

About the Writer
Dustin Wheatley, Staff Writer

Dustin is a junior who describes himself as a “slightly above average football player with the IQ of one." He adds that he often says he lives in his...