Filed under News

Putting Math Minds to Work

Micah Green, 11, works with teammates from different high schools to complete one of the challenges during MPATE.

Becky Haggard

MPATE day is a day filled with fun, challenge, and competition. This acronym stands for Math, Physics, Advanced Technology Exploration and it held by Morehead State University each year. LCA attends most years with students who have a love for those subjects.  This year, more than 25 students made the trip from the Rose Campus to Morehead.

When the students first arrived at the college, a current Morehead student greeted them and escorted them to take a group photo. After the picture, the group was taken to a room filled with students from other schools around the state. There were also donuts, and of course coffee.  At this point, all of the students in attendance were divided into  teams of four.  All of the members of each team came from a different school.  Each team completed four challenging activities.  To succeed in each challenge, the team members had to use their best math and science skills. A team of judges scored each team’s performance in each activity. At the end of the day, the top scoring teams received awards and prized. These awards range from a Morehead ornament to a $1,000 housing scholarship to Morehead State University.

Students were able to enjoy this break from the typical school day and learn in a different way. Some students were even able to win a few prizes; one student, Jessica Zeigler, 11, even won a brand-new CAS calculator worth $150. Other students won much simpler items such as a t-shirt. Junior Avery Benson says this about MPATE day, “MPATE was an enlightening experience, and it allowed us to use our math skills in world events.” Attendees also were able to view the college, and to get insight of what it looks like to be a college student.  In all, this day was a wonderful opportunity for students in many ways, from getting free gear to helping them choose a major.

About the Writer
Ben Philpot, Staff Writer

Ben Philpot is a junior who has attended LCA for three years after moving to Lexington from London, Kentucky, where he attended North Laurel Middle School....