Filed under Entertainment

No-Baked: Lexington’s Latest Food Fad

Recently, Lexington’s own Palomar Center made a seemingly popular addition to their ever-busy plaza. The dying chain, Orange-leaf, was replaced by a No-Baked cookie dough shop right next to Malone’s. Although the new addition seemed to be packed full of eager customers at first, mixed reviews have flowed out, leaving the young shop as a less popular returning choice.

At first glance, this new secular joint highly resembles Steel City Pops located in The Summit at Fritz Farm. The crowd lured by No-Baked is very similar to that of Steel City and we must recognize that Lexington is one of the few places in the area that can effectively draw in so many paying customers for these types of businesses. In many other locations, both businesses would do very poorly due to low demand, yet Steel City has managed to stay open year round for quite some time now. If I were to make an assumption, I would say No Baked would gain similar success.

However, this small, yuppie-attracting business seems to have had much more opening ‘hype’ than any similar joint yet much more mediocre reviews than competing business. Overall, while delightful in the first few bites, the dough is a tad overwhelming and rich for my taste and for many other customers. Cookie dough has famously been a wonderful ice cream and milkshake topping, yet on its own can be a bit too much to bear. The serving sizes are much too big for the average person and leftovers always seem to make their way out. Baking the dough after leaving the store however has also led to mixed reviews. It seems that the company makes the dough with the one intention of raw-consumption. The dough is apparently chemically wrong for baking and is even discouraged.

Again, much like Steel City, the product is overpriced for the amount actually consumed and customers end up paying for extra dough that is thrown in the trash before even leaving the store. Why pay for something that is wasted and not worth the money?

I know cookie dough is ideally the perfect quick dessert, but when the product is too rich, too overpriced, and too much to handle, it’s definitely not my first choice. I would much rather spend my money on ice cream or a different dessert than something I don’t completely enjoy eating. If you’re going to break your diet, make it for something worthwhile.

About the Writer
Reagan Newman, Contributing Writer

Reagan Newman is a young senior who has attended LCA for the past four years.  In school, she participates in Beta Club, Y-Club, and the Chick-fil-A Leader...