Filed under Entertainment

‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ Tells A Difficult Story Beautifully

If you are even a minor fan of the famous rock band Queen, your money will be well spent at the newest film Bohemian Rhapsody.

The film beautifully captures the character of Freddie Mercury, played by Rami Malek, and the band’s journey up to the Live Aid Concert of 1985. The timeline begins in 1970, and depicts a college-aged Mercury requesting to be the lead singer in a band with drummer Roger Taylor and bassist Brian May. After he confidently states his case and proves his natural talent, the story really sets off, and follows the band into their first record deal.

A pivotal point in the film occurs when Mercury and the rest of the band go to a countryside cottage to gain inspiration for their latest album. It is here that Mercury writes the hit song “Bohemian Rhapsody”, as well as many other hits featured on their album A Night at the Opera. Despite much criticism from their producer and reviews, the song becomes a hit and maintains much of the band’s legacy.

Although the timeline of the movie is not entirely accurate, it is obvious director Bryan Singer is trying to squeeze as many of the bands hit songs into the two hour and 14 minute movie. In interviews, the actors even point out this fallacy. They defend this by saying that there was so much to put in the film that the timeline had to be slightly off. Because the songs reignited my love for Queen’s old hits, I was easily able to overlook the inaccuracy.

Much of the film demonstrates Mercury’s struggle and confusion with his sexuality. Many remember him as being flamboyant and one of the first well-known gay men in culture. The film depicts heartbreaking episodes in which he spends many nights alone, compared with his bandmates who spend time with their wives and children. It is especially hard to watch his relationship with his ex-fiance Mary Austin deteriorate, as she moves on, and he is left confused and hurt. It is during these nights that Mercury fills the void with drugs, alcohol, sex, and other dangerous distractions that ultimately lead to the decline of his health and eventual diagnosis of AIDS.

My favorite part of the movie is how the film comes to a close: the Live Aid Concert. The movie shows Mercury revealing to his bandmates the news of his diagnosis, which makes the concert extremely emotional. Nonetheless, the movie’s depiction of the concert is legendary. After watching the actual performance of the 1985 Live Aid Concert, the movie’s take on it could not have been any more accurate. From the number of beer cups on the stage piano, to the outfits of the bandmates, everything is to a tee.

As for the actors, each did a superb job. I would be shocked if Rami Malek is not nominated for Oscar or any other award for his role. He perfectly captures Mercury’s character and makes the audience immediately fall in love with his ambitious personality. Actors Gwilym Lee, Ben Hardy, and Joseph Mazzello do an excellent job of bringing balance to the band and Mercury’s dramatic persona.

Overall, the film is just fun. I may have seen it more than once. The movie shows the band performing some of my favorite songs by them, like “You’re My Best Friend”, “Love of my Life”, “Radio Gaga”, and “Somebody to Love”. This movie is an absolute must see if you have any appreciation for the legendary rock band. Bow down to the Queen.

About the Writer
Erin Oliver, Editor

Erin is senior who has attended LCA for 5 years.  She played varsity volleyball for one year, but now enjoys spending her free time with friends and family,...