Filed under News

The ‘No’s’ for November are Here

Creative fundraising initiatives for Dance Blue receive mixed responses.

The ‘No’s’ for November are Here

Senior girls take the stage during chapel on Oct. 31 to model acceptable responses to the No Polo November drive.

Beginning on Facebook in 2009, “No Shave November,” or the act of not shaving for the whole month of November, has been a popular trend ever since. Nine years later, LCA has finally hopped on the facial hair bandwagon, providing an opportunity to the male student population to show off their beards all while donating $100 to the Dance Blue foundation. Participants will be split into teams and at the end of the month, there will be various prizes for categories such as worst and best beard. Senior team captain and adamant supporter of facial hair freedom, Chase Sacca, says this about the opportunity, “I think it’s a good start to let students grow out their facial hair and let us participate in No Shave November. It’s a chance to finally show the staff that students can grow good-looking beards, just like them.”

Because of complaints about girls being left out, Spiritual Life Director Adam Ray announced that the month of November will also be the month of no polos. For $100 dollars, the female student population can opt out of wearing polos, with proceeds going to Dance Blue. Senior Megan Rodgers voices her opinion, “I absolutely love the idea that they are trying to raise for Dance Blue, but I don’t think they understand how absurd a $100 pledge is for high school students.” And she was not alone, those who are not participating are doing so because of the pledge amount. Rodgers goes on to say, “I know it is a popular opinion of people from outside of LCA or in higher authority that our parents will just hand us money when we ask, but there aren’t many kids who can just ask for a hundred-dollar bill or check, so they can just not wear a polo.” It is also no secret that many girls do not typically wear polos to school and Megan and others believe they are taking advantage of this knowledge by demanding money.

No matter how controversial these opportunities to serve may seem, just keep in mind it’s #FTK (for the kids!)

About the Writer
Meela Mingua, Staff Writer

Meela Mingua is a senior. Along with writing for the newspaper staff, she participates in tennis, track and field, book club, poetry club, and theatre...