Filed under News

Replacing an Old Tradition

Ellie Woodward, 11, Brooke Allison, 12, Madeline Howard, 12, Peyton Wortz, 12, Catherine Wilson, 11, and Ashley Frazier, 12, show that nerds can have fun too at the National Honor Society table during Roc n Treat

This year LCA made a drastic change to its usual Halloween tradition. For as long as most students or faculty members can recall, what was previously named “Trunk or Treat” was replaced with “ROC n’ Treat” and moved from Rose Campus to The ROC, the recreational outreach facility at Immanuel Baptist Church. In years past, many clubs, sports teams, and other school organizations hosted booths for Trunk or Treat, which would be set up all around the Rose Campus hallways, or more recently, in the parking lot. This year, LCA partnered with Immanuel Baptist Church to host “ROC n’ Treat”, which was on October 26th from 6-8 pm. The event included included inflatables, carnival games, food trucks, and a “candy trail,” where children could move from decorated table to table collecting candy.  The move may have been prompted by the fact that the LCA preschool and primary school have moved to the Tates Creek Campus. Still, the change was noticeable and it impacted the high school’s involvement. At this event, there were only a few tables hosted by high school organizations.  National Honor Society had a ‘nerd’ theme table. Beta Club hosted a table with the theme of ‘Minions,” and Y Club students worked a ‘Mickey Mouse’ theme.  Junior Ellie Woodward worked the National Honor Society booth at “ROC n’ Treat,” and commented that, “It was crowded, which was good, but it was fun and the kids were all really excited to be there.” Other students had a different outlook on this change of tradition. Sophomore, Sarah Waddles, said that “It’s kind of sad, because the tradition is gone.” Many of the students at LCA grew up going to “Trunk’ or Treat”, when they were young and it was always a time to dress up in their best costumes and get candy from different, creative booths throughout the halls. As the students grew older, they would then work a booth themselves if they were involved in participating extracurricular activities.  Regardless of how any students may have felt about the change, “ROC n’ Treat” was a success.

About the Writer
Grace Hager, Staff Writer

Grace is a junior and in her 11th year at LCA.  She participates in many extra curricular activities, including tennis.  She has played on the varsity team since the eighth grade.  Also, for the past five years, she has been a member of the chorus.  Outside of school hours, she enjoys outdoor activities, like water sports and hiking. Grace is interested in pursuing a career in journalism.