The Forgotten Candidate: Frank Harris

Frank Harris, the Libertarian candidate to represent the 6th Congressional District makes his presence known at the only debate among candidates.

Erin Oliver

Erin Oliver

Erin Oliver, Editor

No one really knows much, or anything, about the Libertarian candidate Frank Harris, who participated in the debate held at KET this past Monday night.

The audience primarily focused on the two major party candidates’ responses. Harris was not given the opportunity to say much, but what he did say expressed his party’s views.

Harris acknowledged that the Libertarian party is small, but there are reasons he joined that party and left the Republican party 6 years ago.

“I couldn’t tolerate it. Americans are concerned about fundamental issues that they aren’t seeing from the two major parties.”

Harris felt this need to leave the party particularly when issues like balancing the budget was not done the way it should be in his eyes. “I’m the guy who wants to reduce spending.”

Harris also expressed his belief in the Constitution, and that it should be the followed thoroughly.

When asked about how to respond to the latest shootings in Kentucky, Pittsburgh, and other recent hate crimes, he mostly spoke about how the media is guilty of only treating one side. He went on to explain how when a person sees another face to face, they are treated differently. He complained how people only get their news from one source.

In regards to healthcare, Harris said, “I hope I get more than one minute.” He quickly expressed that it is wrong for the government to control how many doctors are allowed to be trained and how many hospitals are allowed to be built. He went on to say the VA healthcare system is not good and must be changed. Overall, he wished for less government intervention.

When given his turn to discuss taxes, Harris discussed how he would fix the debt issue. His main two points was to pay it down 2% every year, which would be around $4,000,000,000,  then take what is left and apply it to what is needed.

When asked how Harris would want to leave Kentucky, he simply wished for Kentucky to not fear their government.

Overall, Frank Harris did not get much time to express the changes he would like to make for Kentucky. When answering questions, he only really had time to express his views instead of discuss his reasoning and plans for them. When he did speak, it was with passion.

Following the debate, Harris was the first candidate out from the studio and open to the media for questions. When asked how he thought it went, he was visibly disheartened and solemnly said he tried not to be rude. He expressed how he did not get adequate time to respond to questions, and that his opponents were not getting to the heart of the issues discussed.

He began choking up as he spoke. Harris explained how he is an Uber/Lyft driver, and if everyone could get a ride with him, they would vote for him.

“I will give interviews to anyone”. Harris expressed his desire to talk to citizens and explain his views.

When asked who he thinks he will get the majority of votes from, Democrats or Republicans, he said equally from both. If he had enough time, he would have explained his desire to legalize marijuana, which would most likely have drawn the Democratic voters. Also if he had enough time, he would have explained his tax plan for thoroughly, which would have attracted Republican voters.

He went on many tangents in how the government has failed Americans and Kentuckians. Harris was overall disheartened for not being able to share his views adequately, and conveyed a sincerity for the well being of Kentucky.