Filed under News

Creative Fundraising Motivates Giving to Dance Blue

Juniors Davis McIntire and Sarah Harper advertise for the Dance Blue car wash.  The high school Dance Blue Committee is trying to raise $25,000 this year.

Juniors Davis McIntire and Sarah Harper advertise for the Dance Blue car wash. The high school Dance Blue Committee is trying to raise $25,000 this year.

Dance Blue is a 24-hour marathon fundraiser for pediatric cancer started by students at the University of Kentucky.  High schools in Lexington have been quick to pick up on the effort and have started their own mini-marathons, including LCA. Over the past years,  LCA has hosted an 8-hour mini-marathon where students commit to stay on their feet from 11pm to 7am.  This year, the Dance Blue committee changed the format of the event.  It will now be held from 5 pm to 11 pm. The Dance Blue committee has set a goal for LCA to donate $25,0000 to the UK Dance Blue.  It is hosting various fundraisers to raise money.  Previously, the committee has hosted a car wash, with all proceeds going to Dance Blue, and it hosted a fundraiser at Fright Night, at Jacobson park. Currently, LCA is offering a No-Shave November for the high school boys.  Each boy who can raise $100 toward the goal has permission to shy away from his razor for the whole month of November.  Those making the pledge will receive a lanyard to wear the whole month of November stating that they are exempt from the shaving policy in the dress code.  Girls who can raise $100 toward the goal have the opportunity to avoid wearing polos for the month. “No Polo November” is a way for girls to participate in the fundraising in a creative way.  Like the “no shave” boys,”no polo” girls will still be obligated to wear a lanyard.  Junior Lindsey Hubbard says, “I think the no-polo November is a great idea, because polos are uncomfortable and I cannot wait to donate my $100.” Dance Blue has already raised $6,000 towards the $25,000 goal. The committee hopes all students will get involved in some way to help achieve this goal. Junior Anna-Riley Clark explained, “Dance Blue is a great way to get involved and give back to these kids who have lost so much, and show that we love and support them here at LCA.”

About the Writer
Grace Hager, Staff Writer

Grace is a junior and in her 11th year at LCA.  She participates in many extra curricular activities, including tennis.  She has played on the varsity...