Rubik’s Cube Still Fascinates

October 18, 2018

Aaron Bolling

Aaron Bolling

Note:  This article is one in a series of feature stories written by journalism students.

The Rubik’s cube is a classic puzzle that has been entertaining generations in many different ways. A Hungarian architect by the name of Erno Rubik invented the Rubik’s cubes in 1974. The Rubik’s cube has evolved since he created the first one.  It started as a 3 by 3 cube and now ranges from a 2 by 2 to a 33 by 33. The cube has taken different shapes and sizes over the years as well.  However, when people think of a Rubik’s cube, most of the time, they think of the classic 3 by 3 cube. According to the official Rubik’s cube website, “The Rubik’s Cube has been tantalizing and enchanting people for over 40 years, and is the world’s best-selling toy ever!”

People are amazed by the Rubik’s cube every day. When someone first solves a Rubik’s cube, it is quite an accomplishment. Only a select few in this world can actually solve the cube. The Rubik’s cube website claims that “over 350 million Rubik’s Cubes have been sold worldwide.” Yet, it also estimates that “less than 5.8% of the world’s population can solve the Rubik’s Cube.  Many people want to solve a Rubik’s cube and just cannot.  They do not realize the formulas that are involved in solving one.  For those who know what it takes to solve one, it is amazing sometimes to see people solving the cube in less than 20 seconds.

The key to solving the cube is to learn the algorithms involved.  When one first starts to learn the algorithms to solve a Rubik’s cube, there are so many steps, that it can feel like one will never solve it.  If there is one mistake, it is all over.  This is why it is so satisfying to solve a Rubik’s cube; it really takes a lot of thought and careful solving to finish it for the first time. The feeling of accomplishment never gets old.  The confused looks others give one who has solved it and the sheer amazement at the end is so rewarding.

Rubik’s cube is definitely a classic toy. A classic is something that has stood the test of time.  The cube has not been around for terribly long, but it has endured two to three generations of kids. This puzzle has been amazing people for years, and one could argue that it will be amazing people for years to come.

As we continue learning more about the Rubik’s cube, people start to figure out different ways to solve it faster. According to the official website, “the Rubik’s Cube can be solved in 20 moves or less from any position, researchers claim.”  People are getting faster and faster at solving the Rubik’s cube; the fastest solve time is 4.2 seconds.  That is amazing to think about the focus and awareness one needs to solve the cube that fast. Speed is not always the focus of people when solving a cube, some want to find new ways to solve the cube. People now are solving it one-handed or solving it with their feet. Some people can even solve it blindfolded. Some might even solve it with their mouths.

The Rubik’s cube has entertained people for so many years. It has been the main focus in many magic acts. Magicians will solve the cube by tossing it into the air or quickly cover and uncover it solved. This seems to astonish people because they have no idea ow to solve it so fast. The Rubik’s cube is a puzzle for the ages. It has been entertaining people for many years to come.