Crowds and Traffic Accompany Trump’s Visit to Richmond

Dustin Wheatley, Staff Writer

“Donald Trump can suck my left toe.”

“Donald Trump is the greatest president of all time.”

These two statements by LCA students show that there are conflicting views on our 45th president. However the President was in the great city of Richmond on Saturday October 13. This was the first time that a sitting President has been in Richmond.  Regardless of their personal opinions, many residents agree it was a great event for the small town. The great event came with some costs.  Many complained about the interstate being shut down and highway 25 was very congested. The Eastern Bypass also was affected, with traffic backed up past the Meijer supermarket. Many people lined up and watched in the Richmond Centre to see the President’s convoy on route from Bluegrass Airport to the Alumni Colosseum. My Tracy Wheatley was one of these people. She described how many felt when she said, “I thought it was very exciting.” “There were a lot of people watching as he came in.” Their only complaint seemed to be “I didn’t have a good enough camera.” Karen Hester was also there. She said, “the most exciting presidential experience I’ve had just seeing him drive by, and I have shook Bill Clinton and Al Gore’s hand.” She said, you could barely see President Trump, as he drove by but you could pick him out due to his hair. 

Several students made the trip to Richmond for the rally.  They took note of the crowds as well. Senior Blane Hardin said, “it was cold and it took forever to get in.” Junior Davis McIntire said “I waited for hours to be cut off about 15 people short.”

Despite the crowds and the long waits, the rally was a success. President Trump provided updates on his policies and encouraged voters to turn out for incumbent Congressman Andy Barr in the upcoming election. Congressman Barr is facing Democrat hopeful Amy McGrath.  Former Vice President Joe Biden spoke for her at a rally in Bath County on Friday Oct 12.