Filed under News

Hurricane Michael Wreaks Havoc on the Florida Panhandle

Hurricane Michael ripped through Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, and the surrounding area leaving severe damage through its path.  The storm sustained winds up to 150 mph, which significantly damaged every structure throughout the base. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Liliana Moreno)

Hurricane Michael ripped through Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida, and the surrounding area leaving severe damage through its path. The storm sustained winds up to 150 mph, which significantly damaged every structure throughout the base. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Liliana Moreno)

Tech. Sgt. Liliana Moreno

Tech. Sgt. Liliana Moreno

Tech. Sgt. Liliana Moreno

On October 10, Category 4 Hurricane Michael slammed into the Florida Panhandle and caused extensive damage with destructive winds speeds of up to 155 miles per hour. The storm affected thirty million people in six different states: Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. The hurricane crushed and flooded buildings, shattered lives, and killed at least sixteen people, injuring countless others.  It left nearly a million residents without power. The catastrophic storm has been named the worst hurricane since 1992’s Hurricane Andrew hit Florida, just five miles per hour short of being a Category 5. It became the most powerful hurricane to ever pound the Florida Panhandle and became the third-strongest United States’ landfall of all time.  

Carmen Daughtery, a resident of Destin, Florida, shared the scary moments leading up to the hurricane, as she and her family stayed. “It was the first time we have ever stayed for a storm. We won’t ever stay again.  We were very lucky! At first, we didn’t think the storm was going to be that bad, and we were only under voluntary evacuation, so we went and stocked up on supplies (water, canned food, batteries, bread, non-perishable items) and prepared for the storm. By the time it got bad enough it was too late to leave. There wasn’t a lot of rain for us, but the winds were high. Tall trees in our yard were blowing over almost to the ground and then whipping back the other way. We lost 1 wooden plank of our fence and that was it.  The damage in Destin wasn’t that bad, we didn’t lose power or anything. However, the damage that I’ve seen from social media is completely devastating, and to think just how close that was to our home is terrifying.  Entire neighborhoods destroyed, with only piles of rubble left. Gas pumps laying on the other side of the road from where it has been.  Our community has come together with donations and supplies and trucks leave Destin daily to help.” 

Sue Blevins, resident of Fayetteville, North Carolina, also talked about her hurricane experience further up the Atlantic coast. It was eleven in the morning on Wednesday and Blevins and her coworkers were anxiously waiting for permission to leave work. “Finally, our boss said yes but I was in the middle of training and the rain was at its highest peak, so my team and I stayed.” It is not uncommon for those in the workforce to stay on the job. Many stay due to the fear of losing their job. The eye of the hurricane passed over at 1:30 P.M., allowing Blevins and her team time to head home. At her apartment, she was prepared for the storm and even though her town did not face the initial impact of Michael, North Carolina was still affected. Blevins says, “it only gusted for a couple of hours and then the sun came out. All of the apartments’ residents went to check on the roof, which was fine and so were we.”

About the Writer
Meela Mingua, Staff Writer

Meela Mingua is a senior. Along with writing for the newspaper staff, she participates in tennis, track and field, book club, poetry club, and theatre...