‘Venom’ Entertains, Despite Flaws

‘Venom’ Entertains, Despite Flaws

Gabe Smith, Staff Writer

Hello and welcome back to another weekly movie review. This week’s movie is Venom directed by Ruben Fleischer and starring Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock, a popular and well-liked journalist who has his own TV show. Eddie’s girlfriend is Anne Weying, played by Michelle Williams. After Eddie looks at her laptop, he learns that famous scientist Carlton Drake, played by Riz Ahmed, is being investigated for human testing.  Eddie brings this up during an interview with Drake, which results in him being fired from his job.  He also gets Anne fired as well.  Back Drake’s corporation, Life Foundation, he begins to test alien symbiote on humans, trying to match the two together. It does not go well, as each human dies when the symbiote eats all the human organs. Another scientist tells Eddie about the testings, and he infiltrates the Life Foundation to prove he was right all along.  As the result of a freak accident, Eddie morphs with Venom, a symbiote also played by Tom Hardy, and this sets motion the main plot.

While the script is very flat at times and Riz Ahmed’s performance is very over-acted and forced, it was an overall good movie. Hardy’s performance carriers this movie with his acting and voice manipulation. The chemistry between Eddie and Venom is done well, as they develop a strong relationship with each other. They ultimately figure out that they are not much different from each other. The soundtrack was good and the cinematic shots were well done as well. The unrealistic car chase was really bad, though, and it features some of the worst effects I’ve ever seen. The biggest take away was how entertaining the movie was. The action scenes were great, there were plenty of funny lines that were not forced.  The editing was also well done, with the movie being not to long and not being boring.

My guests for this showing were 2018 LCA graduates Colten Crager, Caleb Lytle, and Thomas Woeste.  They all enjoyed the movie saying, “I can kinda see where it got bad reviews, but it certainly was entertaining and funny. I enjoyed it a lot.” I enjoyed the movie as well. While it does have it’s flaws, I don’t know why it got such poor reviews from others. Sometimes the critics don’t know a good movie when they see one. That is why I am giving it 3 out of 4 stars and two thumbs up.  Go see it.  Don’t listen to the critics.

Possible nominations:

Best actor: Tom Hardy

Worst supporting actor: Riz Ahmed

About the Writer
Gabe Smith, Staff Writer

Weighing at 5'8, 165 pounds Senior Gabe Smith is the man for all things movie and sports related. With a passion for laughter and speaking the truth Gabe...