A New ‘Star’ Shines

A New ‘Star’ Shines

Hello and welcome back to another weekly movie review. The lucky movie this week is A Star is Born, starring, directed, produced, and written by Bradley Cooper. The movie also stars Lady Gaga. A Star is Born is the fourth remake in a series dating back to 1937, but the most recent was in 1976.  That version starred Kris Kristofferson and Barbara Streisand.  In the current release, Bradley Cooper stars as Jackson Maine, an old, washed-up rock musician who suffers from alcoholism, drug addiction, and hearing problems. After a concert, Jackson goes to a drag bar where he meets Ally, played by Lady Gaga. Ally works as waitress and performs nightly concerts in the bar. Jackson is immediately infatuated with Ally and the two fall in love. The chemistry between Cooper and Gaga is terrific, with Lady Gaga stealing the spotlight from Bradley Cooper at times. Cooper writes a well-rounded script that takes on the difficult themes of addictions and self-image issues. They all are done perfectly.  The audience watches as Jackson struggles heavily with addictions and recognizes his need to beat them to ever fine true happiness. Ally struggles with her self-image and concerns about what people think of her.

Cooper’s directing is well-done, especially since it is his first time in this role for a major motion picture.  He does a great job exploring the effects of not just addiction and image, but also the draw of fame and the fear of being old and forgotten by the younger generation.  Cooper smoothly works this in as he portrays Jackson as always slightly jealous of Ally’s fame. In addition, the cinematography in the film is very well done and the editing is great.  The audience never has time to become bored. Most of all the soundtrack was terrific, with Lady Gaga and Cooper’s singing. The  song-writing blends very well with the script.  The music itself tells half of the story of each character’s problems and thoughts. My guest was my own grandpa and he loved the film just as much as I did, saying, “It was a really great movie. I remember seeing it back in 1950 with Judy Garland, and it wasn’t as good as this.” I would recommend you see this movie, an easy 4/4 and two big thumbs up.

Possible nominations:

Best movie

Best director, Bradley Cooper

Best adapted screenplay, Bradley Cooper

Best actor, Bradley Cooper

Best supporting actress, Lady Gaga

Best song, “Shallow” by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper

Best cinematography, Matthew Libatique

Note: This movie is rated R and contains some objectionable material.  

About the Writer
Gabe Smith, Staff Writer

Weighing at 5'8, 165 pounds Senior Gabe Smith is the man for all things movie and sports related. With a passion for laughter and speaking the truth Gabe...